Science and Technology Policy Studies (thesis and non-thesis MsC Program)
As a key to understand the knowledge-based society, the M.Sc. Program in "Science and Technology Policy Studies" is designed to equip students with the necessary know-how in economic and social policy-making as well as theoretical approaches to understand technological change. It aims to deal with economic, social, cultural and philosophical challenges of today's knowledge-based economy and society.
Modern science and technology has evolved to such a degree of complexity that calls for appropriate policies which can no longer be formulated adequately within the matrix of any single discipline. In order to match this level of complexity recent policy issues require a multi-disciplinary approach. By encouraging both curiosity-driven and rigorous applied interdisciplinary research in science and technology, METU-TEKPOL aims at preparing students towards tackling theoretical and applied issues. The graduates of he program will be qualified to work in technology and research-oriented organizations in the public sector, as well as industry and universities. The success of the program can be judged by placement of its students to similar reputable programs in United States and Europe for further studies such as, Technology and Policy Program of MIT; Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University; Sussex Policy Research Unit (SPRU) of Sussex University, UNU-MERIT of Maastricht University; Innovation, Management and Policy Department of Manchester University and CIRCLE of Lund University and Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, University of Gothenburg.
The graduates of Science and Technology Policy Studies Master's Program;
- Are preferred as potential PhD students by reputable universities in Turkey and abroad.
- Can work as specialists in the technology and innovation policy units of related public and autonomous institutions.
- Can work as specialists in the technology strategy departments of private companies.
- Can give lectures on topics related to economics of technology and science, technology and innovation policy.
- Can provide consultancy services in technology and innovation policy to public institutions and private companies.
Upon completion of the MSc program our students,
- will gain an interdisciplinary perspective to analyze the economic and social consequences of technological development.
- will gain competence to develop harmonious strategies and policies to meet social and economic transformations that technology has introduced.
- have knowledge of related conceptual, methodological and applied knowledge to design science, technology and innovation policies.
- are equipped with conceptual, methodological and applied knowledge to provide technology and innovation strategy to private companies.
Tezli/Tezsiz Yüksek Lisans Programı Eğitim Amaçları
Bilim ve Teknoloji Politikası Çalışmaları Yüksek Lisans Programı mezunları;
- Yurtiçinde ve yurtdışında saygın üniversitelerde doktora öğrencisi olarak tercih edilirler.
- İlgili kamu ve özerk kurumların bilim, teknoloji ve yenilik politikası birimlerinde uzman olarak çalışabilirler.
- Özel şirketlerin teknoloji stratejisini belirleyen birimlerinde uzman olarak çalışabilirler.
- Üniversitelerde, devlet kurumlarında ve özel şirketlerde teknoloji iktisadı ve bilim, teknoloji ve yenilik politikası konularında ders verebilirler.
- Devlet kurumlarına ve özel şirketlere teknoloji ve yenilik politikası konularında danışmanlık hizmeti verebilirler.
Tezli/Tezsiz Yüksek Lisans Programı Eğitim Çıktıları
Bilim ve Teknoloji Politikası Çalışmaları Yüksek Lisans Programı öğrencileri;
- Teknolojik ilerlemenin ekonomik ve sosyal sonuçlarını incelemek için disiplinlerarası bakış açısı kazanırlar.
- Teknolojinin getirdiği sosyal ve ekonomik dönüşümlere uyum sağlayabilecek strateji ve politika geliştirme yetisi kazanırlar.
- Bilim, teknoloji ve yenilik politikası tasarlayabilecek düzeyde kavramsal, yöntemsel ve uygulamalı bilgi sahibi olurlar.
- Özel şirketler teknoloji ve yenilik stratejisi geliştirebilecek düzeyde kavramsal, yöntemsel ve uygulamalı bilgi sahibi olurlar.
- YÖK Yönetmeliğine göre tezsiz yüksek lisans programından mezun olan öğreciler Doktora programına başvuru yapamamaktadır.
Students enrolled in the program are required to take 3 core courses which aim to provide students with the basic knowledge to understand historical, theoretical and institutional aspects of scientific and technological processes and practices. Students lacking the necessary background in their chosen field of specialization may be asked to take a maximum of three additional undergraduate courses upon the consent of the chairman of the program. In addition to the 3 must courses students have to take 4 elective courses.
Upon passing the non-credit seminar course STPS 500 that the thesis proposals are defended students proceed to write a thesis. A sketch of M.Sc. program is presented below. You can get more information regarding the courses here.
M.Sc. with thesis (3 must, 4 electives, one seminar course and M.Sc. Thesis)
- STPS 503: Economics of Science, Technology and Innovation
- STPS 505: Knowledge, Science and Technology in the Information Age
- STPS 507: Research Methods and Ethics in Science and Technology Studies
Restricted elective courses (at least one of these three courses has to be taken)
- STPS 501: History of Science and Technology
- STPS 512: Thecnological Change in Developing Countries
- STPS 543: Recent Trends in Science and Technology Policy Making
From the second semester onwards students have to enroll in non-credit MSc courses
- STPS 800-899 Special Studies
- STPS 599 M.Sc. Thesis
Students have to complete all coursework (3 must, 4 elective and one seminar course STPS 500) in the first four semesters. The students have to defend their proposals in the STPS 500 Prothesis Seminar couse. If successful the student proceeds to writing a MSc thesis. The maximum MSc education is 6 semester.